Bait Obaid Alshamsi
This house was owned by the late Obaid Bin Hamad Al Shamsi and build around the year 1845. Bait Obaid Al Shamsi reflects Arabic Islamic Architecture and echoes the absolute spirit of Sharjah. On two levels, it holds 16 rooms, three of which are upstairs. There are also the parlors, the extensions and the stairs, as well as the distinctive top ventilation-structures wind-towers known as ‘Barjeel’.
After the 1997 renovation, 13 studios have come up around the traditional courtyard, which are presented to professional artists practicing their work constantly. It was thus dubbed ‘The Hall of Arts’.
Contemporary artists, by invitation from Sharjah Directorate of Arts, come from all over the world to use the studios each year. There is an air of tranquility across the property during the day, while in the evenings there are buzzes of activity as the artists meet to discuss their work.